Friday, August 9, 2013

Imperfect vs. Preterit: Changes in meaning

Hola amigos.   This week, we are continuing to look at the differences between "el imperfecto" and "el pretérito."  If you read last week's blog, you'll recall that the imperfect is used more often to recall general periods of the past that did not have a clear beginning or end, or events that occurred routinely.  There were several other examples of when to use the tense as well.  The preterit, on the other hand, is used more often to refer to specific events that lasted a specific and clear amount of time.

 So, what happens when you use the wrong tense??  How can it change what you mean to say?  That's what we will look at today.  Take a look at the following sentences:
  • Juan estuvo enfermo ayer.   (preterit)
  • Juan estaba enfermo ayer.   (imperfect)
In the first, we see the preterit.  This tense, as explained last week, is used for events that had a beginning and an end, events that had outcomes, and specific events.   So, in the case of the first sentence, Juan was sick yesterday, but the sickness passed.  In other words, he is better now.

Juan estuvo enfermo ayer. = Juan was sick yesterday [but has recovered].

In the second sentence, Juan was sick yesterday, but the use of the imperfect does not indicate that there was an outcome.  It could be said by some one who knew that Juan was sick yesterday, but is not sure if he's better yet or not.

Juan estaba enfermo ayer. = Juan was sick yesterday. [He was sick at that time and there is no indication of his current condition.]

Here are other examples of how changing between the imperfect and preterit can change meaning:
  • Yo quería comprar ese carro ayer.  I wanted to buy that car yesterday. [It was just a feeling I had yesterday.. I didn't actually try to buy it or anything; I just wanted to.]
  • Yo quiso comprar ese carro ayer.  I wanted to buy that car yesterday. [And I actually did something about it and tried to; even if I didn't succeed.] 
  • Edgar no quería correr ayer.  Edgar did not want to run yeseterday. [He did not feel like running.. but actually may have!  But he didn't want to.]
  • Edgar no quiso correr ayer.  Edgar refused to run yesterday.  [Edgar absolutely did not want to and thus did not run yesterday.]
 Notice that when querer is used in the preterit, it is stronger and means either you really wanted and tried to do something or you absolutely did not to and refused.  When used with the imperfect, it just means you wanted to and does not specify much else.  The same applies to the verb poder:
  • Ella podía arreglar mi aire condicionado.  She was capable of fixing my air conditioning. [She had the ability to]
  • Ella pudo arreglar mi aire acondicionado.  She fixed my air conditioning.  [She was able to and did fix it]
Here are few more verbs that change meaning depending on the use of preterit or imperfect:
  • Yo conocía a Carolina.  I used to know Carolina.  [At one time I knew this person]
  • Yo conocí a Carolina.  I met Carolina.  [Perhaps recently I met this person]
  • Yo sabía que Miguel iba a llegar tarde.  I knew that Mike was going to arrive late. [I knew, or strongly believed, that Mike was going to arrive late.]
  • Yo sube que Miguel iba a llegar tarde.  I found out that Mike was going to arrive late.  [I recieved information beforehand that Mike was going to arrive late.]
  • El presidente tenía que liberar el preso.  The president had to set the prisoner free.  [He was under obligation to do so.]
  • El presidente tuvo que liberar el preso.  The president was compelled to set the prisoner free.  [He just had to do it.]
If you're advanced enough, try to translate these sentences into Spanish using the verb in brackets.  If you're not quite ready for that, try to decide if the verb in bold should use the preterit or the imperfect when translated to Spanish:
  1. I refused to watch the movie. [querer]
  2. He found out that the plane was going to arrive early. [saber]
  3. I knew John when I was a kid. [conocer]
  4. Harry met Sally last week. [conocer]
  5. I wanted to help, but I was in Mexico. [querer]
  6. We succeeded in fixing the car. [poder]



No comments:

Post a Comment